Every Monday is Family Happiness Tip Day, where I share something that’s worked for us, and you’re welcome to try it with your family as well.
Today’s tip is: find a way to give back. It doesn’t matter how much money you make, what your job title is, or how many square feet are in your house. By themselves, those things a happy life do not make. You’ve also got to acknowledge and appreciate your blessings, and use them to give back to others in need. Believe it or not, the purest and most lasting joy you’re likely to experience will come from helping someone other than yourself.
Find a way to consistently add positive value to an individual, group, or community. Here are a few simple ideas:
- Forgo one or two nights out a month and donate the money you would have spent to a charity your family feels strongly about.
- For a milestone birthday or anniversary, suggest to friends who wish to honor the occasion that they make a donation to a favorite charity instead.
- Deliver a meal to a neighbor who’s just undergone surgery or had a baby.
- Volunteer an hour a week to tutor underprivileged children.
- Visit residents at a home for the elderly.
- Cook and serve dinner at a homeless shelter.
What are some ways you and your family give back to the community?