School has already begun for some, and it’s just around the corner for the rest of us. At this time of the year, I always look forward to annual back-to-school dinners with my boys. We catch up on what they’ve set as their personal and academic goals for the upcoming year, as well as how we can be supportive but not intrusive. In fact, my post called 15 Back-To-School Questions To Ask Your Kids is one of the most popular on the site.
Here’s the list again…and here’s to a productive and successful school year!
- What are you most excited about in the upcoming school year?
- What are you least looking forward to?
- What do you see as your biggest challenge?
- Are there any nonacademic issues that concern you about the upcoming year?
- What are your academic goals for the year?
- What are your personal goals for the year?
- How can we help to support you in achieving your goals?
- Is there one general theme you need/want to focus on?
- What will you do differently from last year?
- Is there anything in particular that will help motivate or focus you?
- Do you want to make any changes to your study environment that may improve or enhance your study habits?
- What are your biggest distractions and how can we help you manage them?
- How are you planning to prioritize your schoolwork and activities and how can we be of help?
- Is there anything we can do to help you get/stay organized?
- What’s the best way for us to keep a pulse on your schoolwork?